Autumn and Winter 1979

Started my 2nd year at SHS in august. This time we were in a different hut, and our form teacher was the German teacher Mr Pointer. A new subject too: German.


Minder started on 20th October 1979. Minder was stunningly good - hard hitting seemingly real characters - the guy out of the Sweeney. It wasn't to last though. The second series was watered down, a process which continued until it was an out and out comedy show.

On telly there was a series called The Comedians which I found amusing at the time, but as years went on it has become a lot less funny - I was only 12 at the time, after all.
Other comedy - Freddie Starr, Dave ------ , Kenny Everett.

I suspect I watched Ripping Yarns on a repeat or later episodes as it ran to 1979 - when i had my own telly i think as i watched it on my own. It ran to 1979 - by then my Great Grandparents had been moved into homes - and eventually died, and we had the whole house now. i was given their bedroom up the top of the house, and their bed - a big brass double bed - which i was a little squeamish about to begin with but soon got into the swing of things. it was a very nice bed.

But before I got given my own telly - early 80s I should think - my Dad converted the front room on the middle floor into a modern living room - can't even remember what it was before - my parents bedroom probably. the back room was turned into a kitchen - think that had been a bedroom too - and became our main kitchen.

My old bedroom was a little tiny room which by 1979/80 had been made into a bathroom - with a bath and a toilet. I was using it by early 1981 - listened to John Lennon's last interview sitting in the bath in that room. Though years earlier I'd been laid up sick in bed listening to Tony Blackburn in the same room.


In 1979 I wanted to own records. I was really getting into music now - and 1979 was a good year: Buggles, The Ruts, The Jam, Tubeway Army, Blondie, Specials, Madness, The Police....

In fact there were two compilation albums being pushed on the tv that winter - on Xmas day, my sister had one, and I had the other, Rock N Roller Disco, a peculiar compilation featuring PiL, Sparks, BA Robertson, Dollar, and my favourite at that point The Buggles.

The first album i bought
I was desperate to start a collection now. On my birthday I was given money to buy music - I went to Boots and bought Pleasure Principle by Gary Numan. But I quickly had a list of other music I wanted. I asked for music for xmas - got given a compilation album with that year's hits on it. I think it was the day my parents were dreading. On a day close to my 13th birthday I went out with the explicit intention of buying an LP. One of those black plastic round things we used to have. I went to Boots in the city centre. the choice was reasonable - based on the then charts. I remember dismissing Abba quite early - I wasn't sure I really liked them, I knew my sister did though, I wanted something of my own. Then I nearly bought Setting Sons by the Jam. Finally I found Pleasure Principle by Gary Numan. I'd liked the singles so far so I bought it. The sleeve appealed to me - the triangle / pyramid emblem, the cold, grey background, the printed inside sleeve with the lyrics in handwriting and more photos - Numan himself looking vulnerable, emotionless, like an android. Is he in a spaceship? A Tardis? what does that pyramid do? Nice eye shadow!!

I even remember playing it for the first time. Not the first time I'd played a record - but the first time I played one that I went out and bought myself. The songs on this album all have one word titles, the theme is isolation, not surprising now that I know Numan has Asperger Syndrome, as do I.

After that there was no stopping me - I was hungry for music. And telly...

For me the end of a decade was quite exciting, I didn't remember 1970 and anyway that was such a long time ago. We saw the new year in with Kenny Everett on telly. I remember it featured a track I'd never heard before by the Boomtown Rats and a new version of Space Oddity by David Bowie, which was soon to be a minor hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment