Summer 1979

I did well at end of terms exams - usually in the top 10 - pretty much all passes except RE and French.

I used to get through the exams by thinking of spending time at my grandparents' house out in Whitleigh, a large 1930s council estate on the edge of Plymouth, backed by a field, a woods and then countryside (not for long - a new housing estate was built there sometime in 70s) - where I could run free. I loved my grandparents. My gran bought me comics, lots of choccie bars, and I could spend time there listening to music, watching telly, running round in the fields/ woods - and their idea of food appropriate for children was different from my my mum - real butter, chips with everything, etc...

But it was the image that kept me going during the worst moments of the end of term exams. Even so, I always did fairly well.

This summer - I'd quit the Boys Brigade - so it was the first not going to BB camp for several years - I assume I cycled quite a bit - I'd been cycling for a few years. Got my cycling Proficiency at salisbury Road - and a new bike when i passed my 11 plus. Favourite places to cycle to were the city centre, the Hoe, Barbican, Torpoint Ferry, my Gran's house, Saltram, Chelson Meadow, Jennycliff.

My Dad had been working away from home - Reading - due to the work situation which was not great, though it was going to get a whole lot worse. Thatcher was leader of the Tories - the first election i remember being aware of - and tories were almost certain to win. there's been a high number of strikes through the previous winter, although i have no memories of there being unburied bodies or piles of uncollected rubbish. But labour were in a no-win situation. work with the unions and be accused of being held to ransom, or stand up to them, as they did, and be accused of causing a "winter of discontent".

waiting for our boat
So the election came and Labour lost. The world changed forever, and it wasn't for the good.

The recession soon started. At school -even the best school in plymouth - we were working with ancient text books - books that had been published before decimalisation. And we often had to work with one between two. I never understood pre-decimal money and couldn;t do any maths using it - which did leave me a bit buggered with maths. if i had learned old money - what would have been the point?

dog and sister on the Norfolk Broads
This was the second time thatch had impacted on me - the first being when she stopped milk back in 73/74.

We holidayed on the Norfolk Broads that year. One night in Reading and quick trip to Potton in Cambridgeshire to visit the old rellies - Aunties Doris and Beryl et al...

We had the dog with us - wich made everything so much more fun. I got to drive the boat occasionally - a trip to norwich with mum - lots of pubs. A great holiday.

me and my sister
We heard on the Radio (R4) that Lord Mountbatten had been blown up - and same day there was a review of a new horror film called Alien, sounded great and I decided I needed to see it.


1979 was my year for getting into music...and then only really towards the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment