Music of 1982





The music press
Once the music bug had bitten - I wanted to read about all the time.
There were lots of short lived publications about in newsagents of the time - and one of the trashiest looking ones was Flexipop magazine - also had a free flexi disc on the front. It turned out to be better than you'd think - very amusing - quite lacking in respect which is how it should be after why should pop starts be treated with respect? A few of my favourites turned up in the pages - Numan, Hazel O'Connor, Adam Ant....
Flexipop magazine
Initially I got my regular music news from Smash Hits. Some time late 79/ early 80 I picked up my first copy. It was a good balance between the better chart stuff and Indie. It published the Independent charts and dance charts every issue - while i wasn't enamoured by the dance/ soul stuff - the indie stuff got into my blood and never left.
Smash hits – flexi discs were given away on a few occasions - cousin Mark f*cked about with them and thought it was very funny - they're collecter's items now and i don;t have them!
In 1981 - I started getting fed up with SH which was becoming very pop orientated - it was the time that Duran Duran appeared on the cover for the thrid time in early 1982 that I made the decision to stop getting it. Once made - I stuck to it till the day it folded a few years ago.
I decided to start getting proper music papers - I toyed around with a few - MM, sounds, NME, Record Mirror. I stuck with Record Mirror for a while - especially after it went to a SH style magazine format which I was used to.
Finally got fed up with RM too and moved on to the NME (1983?) which I stuck with into the 1990s.
Archived material

No comments:

Post a Comment